*This post was last updated on December 29, 2020
住房是医疗保健。 As we all endure the coronavirus ( COVID-19) public health crisis, it is critical that no one is kicked out of their home. Below, we put together the most accurate information and resources to aid you and your loved ones in navigating eviction questions during these stressful times. For assistance on case-specific issues, call our free NY COVID-19 Legal Resource Hotline at 929-356-9582 或访问 nylag.org/hotline.
YOUR RIGHTS AS A TENANT
- Evictions and all eviction cases are stayed for 60 days as of December 28, 2020 (until February 26, 2021). This stay, which means nothing can happen or move forward in any eviction case in New York State, is part of the COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Act, which became law on December 28, 2020
- The purpose of the 60-day period is to give tenants who are experiencing financial hardship the chance to provide their landlord with a hardship declaration (English version | Spanish version). Once a tenant signs the hardship declaration and gives it to their landlord or the Housing Court, any existing eviction case is stayed until at least May 1, 2021. That means nothing can happen in the case until May 1, 2021 at the earliest. The hardship declaration is a form published by the state court system in which a tenant makes a sworn statement by checking a box on the form that they
- have experienced a financial hardship during the COVID-19 pandemic
- and/or if the tenant had to leave their home now, it would pose a significant health risk because the tenant or one or more members of the tenant’s household have an increased risk for severe illness or death from COVID-19 due to being over the age of 65, having a disability, or having an underlying medical condition.
- If your landlord has not already sued you in Housing Court and you give your landlord the hardship declaration, the landlord can’t start any case in Housing Court until May 1, 2021 at the earliest.
- Your landlord can still send rent demands. Landlords can still send you letters and rent demands for any rent they claim you owe during this time. However, those rent demands must now come with the hardship declaration. If you provide the hardship declaration to your landlord or the court, that will stop your landlord from starting its case in court until May 1, 2021 at the earliest.
- 目前，您仍然有义务支付租金。 However, as a result of the Tenant Safe Harbor Act, which became law this summer, you cannot be evicted for any rent that became due after March 7, 2020, if you experienced financial hardship after March 7, 2020. But your landlord will still be able to sue you in Housing Court for unpaid rent and get a money judgment. Landlords won’t be able to evict you for post-March 7, 2020 rent that you owe until all parts of the state of emergency are lifted, which will likely not be for several months and possibly longer.
- If you entered into an agreement in court prior to the moratorium that required you to pay rent by a certain date and you can no longer make that payment, your landlord cannot call the marshal/sheriff/law enforcement agency to evict you until February 25, 2021, and a status conference is held. That stay of eviction can be extended to May 1, 2021 if you give your landlord or the court the hardship declaration
Other Housing Court Matters
- 房屋法庭向住户开放提起诉讼 例如房东的非法停工，公寓维修以及处理严重维修命令的申请。您可以找到有关如何提交此类案件的更多信息。 这里.
- 所有待解决的房屋法院案件仍被推迟。 不出现。新的出现日期将直接发送给您。
- Landlords can file new cases. But when a landlord starts a new case, they must provide proof that they served you with the hardship declaration before they started the case. If you receive a hardship declaration from your landlord, sign it, and return it to your landlord (or the court), the landlord can’t start the case against you or move forward with a case until May 1, 2021 at the earliest.
- There is a limited exception. Landlords can start new cases and not be stopped by the new law, but only if a tenant, “is persistently and unreasonably engaging in behavior that substantially infringes on the use and enjoyment of other tenants or occupants or causes a substantial safety hazard to others, provided.” The law also has a number of safeguards built in to prevent landlords from abusing this limited exception to do an end run around the law.
- 如果您从房东，其律师或房屋法院收到任何法律文件，请不要忽略它。 请通过以下方式联系NYLAG的NY COVID-19法律资源热线 (929) 356-9582 要么 线上，或位于 (718) 557-1379, [email protected]，或访问他们的 网站.
- 非法停工 如果您是纽约市的房客，则可以在急诊室提起诉讼，然后放回您的单位。法院和纽约市将所有驱逐后和非法停工案件移交给法律咨询权的法律服务组织，无论您身在何处或您的收入如何。
- 当公寓有危险或非法时，仍会发出空缺命令，只有城市机构才能发出。 业主没有法律授权直接发出空置命令。在这次危机期间，我们希望撤消订单的情况很少，这是对真正危险情况的响应或火灾的结果。发出空置命令后，租户有权使用市政府机构提供的搬迁服务。在危机期间，搬迁服务保持开放。
- 第8节代金券： 虽然HPD第8节客户服务办公室不对公众开放，但HPD第8节客户团队仍然对公众开放。由于收入下降而面临租金困难的凭单持有人应发送电子邮件 [email protected] 或传真至212-863-5299。
- 在此过程中，所有补贴终止都将暂停，直到另行通知。所有租户会议和简报会均已推迟，将重新安排。所有上诉听证会均被取消，直至另行通知。 HPD将继续支付补贴，直到做出最终决定。
- NYCHA减租：根据以下内容，家庭可能有资格获得NYCHA租金减免 租金困难。 NYCHA简化了其“租金困难政策”，以便在COVID-19危机期间更轻松地减少NYCHA的租金。
- 现在，家庭可以通过新的简化版提交收入变动临时重新认证 自助服务门户 接口。
- 现在，家庭可以通过电话联系客户联系中心（CCC）发出这些请求。 NYCHA CCC工作人员可以回答与针对COVID-19紧急状态而制定的“租金困难政策”相关的问题。住户可以打电话 718-707-7771 并选择选项5。
- 租户保护有关受COVID-19影响的租户的信息资源，可在市长保护租户办公室的网页上找到： 受COVID-19影响的纽约市租户的信息和资源.
- New York State recently extended its rent relief program to help tenants who have lost income during the COVID-19 crisis. The NYS COVID Rent Relief Program, which is administered by the state agency called Homes and Community Renewal, HCR, will provide eligible households with a one-time rental subsidy that will be sent directly to the household’s landlord. Accepted applicants are not required to repay this assistance. Applications for the COVID Rent Relief Program reopened on December 18, 2020 and applications must be submitted online or by mail by February 1, 2021. If you already applied, you don’t need to reapply. Detailed information about the program can be found on the Homes and Community Renewal website: https://hcr.ny.gov/RRP.
- 客户可以通过ACCESS HRA申请紧急援助赠款以及持续的现金援助。要申请现金援助，客户无需申请紧急赠款，但我们会在在线申请过程中提出问题，以确保不需要紧急赠款以确保客户的财务安全。因此，每个ACCESS HRA Cash Assistance应用程序都以一系列紧急指示器问题开头。
- 如前所述，以下是通过ACCESS HRA申请现金援助的说明。我们鼓励组织注册ACCESS HRA培训网络研讨会，以获取有关使用我们的在线工具的更多信息。请点击 这里 查看网络研讨会选项。
- 访问 访问HRA并登录
- 按照ACCESS HRA确认页面上的说明进行操作，并使用 ACCESS HRA移动应用.
- 拥有有效现金援助案的客户可以通过ACCESS HRA提交特殊的租金或公用事业拖欠赠款申请。要提交现金援助特别补助金请求，客户将需要：
- 访问 访问HRA并登录
- 在ACCESS HRA用户主页中选择“查看案例”
- 按照确认中的说明进行操作，并使用 ACCESS HRA移动应用.