Those seeking immediate assistance with legal issues can call our hotline at 212-381-0701 or email us at [email protected]. Please note that you must leave a voicemail message with your name and phone number, and someone will return your call.
Launched in the immediate aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, NYLAG’s Storm Response Unit provides comprehensive legal services to help victims of the storm deal with a range of legal issues, including:
Disaster Benefit Programs
- Disputing FEMA recoupment letters: Click here for more information
- Eligibility requirements and program options for Build it Back and NY Rising
Housing and Foreclosure Matters
- Eligibility for housing vouchers
- Landlord/tenant disputes
- Wrongful evictions
- Mortgage issues for affected homes, including foreclosure
Homeowner’s and Flood Insurance Issues
- For general information about the National Flood Insurance Program: Click here
- Re-examination of flood insurance claims: Click here for more information
- 2015 FEMA flood insurance information and review process: Click here for more information
- Evaluating insurance denials and underpayments
- Bankruptcies and credit problems
- Contractor and other disaster-related frauds
- Mechanic’s liens
- Financial and debt counseling: Click here for more information
Help for Immigrant Victims of Sandy
After Superstorm Sandy, many immigrants and households with immigrants received incorrect information about how their immigration status impacted their eligibility for disaster relief programs. As a result, some people may not have received enough financial help for recovery. Click here for more information.
The Storm Response Unit continues to work within the communities in New York City and Long Island most affected by Superstorm Sandy. These sites include the community-based organizations, courts, hospitals and other agencies with which we have existing community offices and long-standing partnerships. Please see the calendar below for updates on locations.
NYLAG’s Mobile Legal Help Center travels to hard-hit neighborhoods across New York City and Long Island, bringing free civil legal services to isolated neighborhoods.
To volunteer to provide pro bono legal assistance, please email [email protected] and check the calendar below for updates.
Download the printable NYLAG Storm Help Flyer.
NYLAG is a beneficiary of UJA-Federation’s Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund. To make a donation to the Fund go to Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund.