NYLAG’s Public Benefits Unit primarily handles matters related to eligibility for a full range of federal and state public benefits that provide a critical lifeline for New Yorkers in need. Attorneys work to ensure that low-income families, children, the elderly, those with disabilities, veterans and other vulnerable populations have access to the public benefits they are entitled to, including public assistance, SNAP benefits, Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income.
NYLAG attorneys help vulnerable New Yorkers navigate complex government systems and access a range of the Medicare, Medicaid and Medicaid home care services they need. The unit has a number of projects specifically tailored to address the unique legal needs of particularly vulnerable populations.
- Accessing and maintaining benefits
- Challenging wrongful denial, reduction or termination of benefits
- Assisting with appeals and negotiations
- Representing clients at administrative hearings
- Providing professional and community education
- Conducting advocacy at the State and Federal levels
- Serving seniors through the UJA Safety Net Program
- Assisting elder abuse victims with their legal needs
- Preparing medical and financial advance planning documents