Securing vital public benefits so that people can survive.
For many, including families with children, veterans, seniors, and people with disabilities, public benefits mean access to food, housing, and health care. However, the complex government systems that control benefits are nearly impossible to navigate without an advocate who specializes in public benefits. That’s where we come in.
secured last year in ongoing yearly public benefits for our clients
We are committed to getting individuals, children, and families the benefits to which they are entitled. NYLAG’s expert services include:
- Accessing and maintaining benefits, including Medicaid, Medicare, Public Assistance, and SNAP
- Challenging wrongful denial, reduction, or termination of benefits
- Preparing medical and financial advance planning documents
- Advocating for homecare for the elderly and those with disabilities to allow them to live safely in their own homes
- Navigating access to shelters for people without homes
- Ensuring that individuals with disabilities receive benefits to gain access to housing, lost income, food, and health care
- Helping veterans secure benefits connected to their service
- Working with immigrants to ensure access to health care, food, and housing
- Helping to build food security through obtaining nutritional assistance (formerly food stamps)
Need free legal services or financial counseling?
Help us provide free legal services to veterans, and others with low incomes, in need of public benefits to survive.
The Latest on Public Benefits
What happens if you are no longer able to make your own health care decisions? We provide information and resources to help you prepare legal planning documents during this public health crisis.
NYLAG and partner orgs urge the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to make changes to best support to our nation’s veterans during the coronavirus pandemic.
Op-ed in City & State NY from NYLAG’s Mario Gutierrez meditates on why placing a savings limit for recipients of public assistance only adds to their financial burdens.