Legal Clinic for Pro Se Litigants in the SDNY
Everyone should have access to quality legal advice.
Navigating the federal court system is time-consuming and complicated. For those who don’t have an attorney, the experience is even more overwhelming — especially when they’re up against a party who has a lawyer. And unrepresented litigants are more likely to lose their cases.
This is where we step in. Our clinic helps to level the playing field by providing free legal advice to non-incarcerated litigants representing themselves or considering representing themselves in civil cases in the Southern District of New York (SDNY).
pro se matters supported by NYLAG’s Pro Se Clinic last year
Our clinic assists litigants with most types of federal civil cases, including matters involving civil rights, employment discrimination, labor law, social security benefits, foreclosure, and tax. We provide pro se litigants with a range of services, including:
- Counseling people considering filing a case in the SDNY
- Providing an overview of the federal legal process in civil cases
- Offering legal advice in response to questions at all stages of litigation
- Reviewing and explaining court orders and filings by the opponent
- Assisting with preparation for depositions, settlement negotiations, and court appearances
Need free legal services or financial counseling?
Help us provide free legal services to people with low incomes in need of a lawyer.
The Latest on Pro Se Clinic
NYLAG’s Pro Se Clinic helps litigants representing themselves in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York