Fighting for, advocating for, and creating just public policies for people experiencing poverty.
NYLAG stands proudly with vulnerable communities in New York, and beyond. We believe in the power of the law to change lives, so we push to ensure that our laws are just. We work to shape laws and policies, to reform those that are discriminatory or outdated, and to create new laws when emerging needs call for them.
We amplify the voices of our clients by advocating for them in spaces where they may not have a seat at the table. We do this in the following ways:
- Educating policymakers about issues of poverty and the gaps in our civil justice system
- Drafting legislation, public comments, and statements
- Delivering testimony at government hearings, briefings, and other relevant spaces
- Leading and taking part in coalitions and committees that integrate our clients’ needs into policy conversations
- Marching and rallying with our clients and supporters
Policy advocacy statements, public comments, and news.
NYLAG’s Tuozhi Lorna Zhen submits testimony advocating for maintaining and increasing services for domestic violence amid COVID-19.
These are the stories of real people and NYLAG clients who will be harmed by proposed Medicaid cuts.