Complementing health care with legal care.
Our pioneering LegalHealth program improves health outcomes by addressing corresponding legal needs, removing legal barriers to better health for patients with limited financial resources. We work alongside medical professionals at 36 New York hospitals and medical facilities, including NYC Health + Hospitals, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Montefiore Medical Center, CancerCare, and many more.
Social determinants of health—the non-medical circumstances (i.e. housing, income, food security, immigration status, etc.) that directly affect one’s health—limit access to and quality of medical care. This reality makes LegalHealth not only pioneering, but necessary.
legal clinics held in hospitals every month
hospitals and community-based partners
Our LegalHealth attorneys support patients’ legal needs, so that patients can focus on improving their health. Here are some ways we help:
- Securing government benefits, including Medicaid
- Addressing housing problems
- Handling immigration concerns
- Assisting veterans with disability claims and discharge upgrades
- Planning ahead (e.g. wills, health care proxies, powers of attorney, and guardianship)
- Solving insurance disputes (e.g. denials of medical claims, prescription coverage, denial or disputes involving short- or long-term disability benefits)
Are you a doctor or medical provider? We offer information, training, and more to help health care providers understand their roles in addressing patients’ non-medical needs. Visit legalhealth.org to learn more.