intimate partner violence
Intimate partner violence is a pervasive issue, and help is available.
The effects of intimate partner violence are long-lasting, affecting many aspects of a survivor’s life. This includes their physical safety, economic stability, housing, and health. Intimate partner violence can also have profound effects on children, who have often witnessed the violence. Access to trauma-informed, client-centered representation is crucial for our clients’ paths towards self-determination, safety, and security.
NYLAG worked with 1,200 survivors of intimate partner violence on orders of protection, divorce, and custody issues in the last year
Our team helps survivors to regain their autonomy and enforce their legal rights. We stand with survivors in court, fighting for their safety so that they can rebuild and live a life free of violence. NYLAG’s lawyers can help in the following ways:
- Obtaining and enforcing orders of protection
- Representing clients in contested and uncontested divorce proceedings
- Advocating for a fair and just division of assets and financial support
- Securing or maintaining custody/visitation of their children
- Securing safe visitation orders
- Helping in safety planning
- Obtaining and enforcing orders for child and spousal support
- Assisting in child protection cases to keep children safe
- Representing survivors on appeals involving family and divorce matters
- Defending against abusive tactics, such as false arrests and false filings
- Working with immigrant survivors to secure legal status