Financial Empowerment & Advocacy
For people living in poverty, it can feel like there’s no way out. We can help.
Stagnated wages, ever-changing income and expenses, predatory lenders, increasing living expenses–All of these dynamics harm the financial security of many New Yorkers.
When these financial challenges are present, there is a limited amount of income available to pay bills (i.e. rent, hospital bills, medication expenses, child-care, etc.), put into savings, or to get food on the table. An unexpected expense or a small reduction in income can quickly become a financial crisis. Our financial empowerment services can help.
point average credit score increase
saved and/or debt eliminated
Services & Advocacy
NYLAG’s financial counselors & coaches help clients navigate through financial crises and build long-term financial stability. Our counselors can help in the following ways:
- Work with clients on managing, prioritizing, and paying down debt
- Help clients create and maintain a budget, establish a savings plan, deal with income and expense volatility, and commit to a goal
- Establish credit scores and improving credit reports
- Provide general information on taxes, insurance, and public benefits
- Deliver workshops and technical assistance to organizations and communities
- Identify and educate stakeholders on the systemic and structural obstacles contributing to the financial instability of people experiencing poverty or with low-income
- Push for changes to the local and federal systems causing harm to these communities
Need free legal services or financial counseling?
Help us provide free financial empowerment & advocacy.
NYLAG is part of the solution to financial crises in communities in New York:
The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has created an economic crisis: millions have loss jobs, others are essential workers at increased risk
Even during this uncertain time, financial obligations continue. It’s of the utmost importance to prioritize your expenses. Here’s what you should know.