Financial Empowerment & Advocacy
For people living in poverty, it can feel like there’s no way out. We can help.
Stagnated wages, ever-changing income and expenses, predatory lenders, increasing living expenses–All of these dynamics harm the financial security of many New Yorkers.
When these financial challenges are present, there is a limited amount of income available to pay bills (i.e. rent, hospital bills, medication expenses, child-care, etc.), put into savings, or to get food on the table. An unexpected expense or a small reduction in income can quickly become a financial crisis. Our financial empowerment services can help.
point average credit score increase
saved and/or debt eliminated
Services & Advocacy
NYLAG’s financial counselors & coaches help clients navigate through financial crises and build long-term financial stability. Our counselors can help in the following ways:
- Work with clients on managing, prioritizing, and paying down debt
- Help clients create and maintain a budget, establish a savings plan, deal with income and expense volatility, and commit to a goal
- Establish credit scores and improving credit reports
- Provide general information on taxes, insurance, and public benefits
- Deliver workshops and technical assistance to organizations and communities
- Identify and educate stakeholders on the systemic and structural obstacles contributing to the financial instability of people experiencing poverty or with low-income
- Push for changes to the local and federal systems causing harm to these communities
Need free legal services or financial counseling?
Help us provide free financial empowerment & advocacy.
NYLAG is part of the solution to financial crises in communities in New York:
The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has created an economic crisis: millions have loss jobs, others are essential workers at increased risk