Evelyn Frank Legal Resources Program (EFLRP)
Safeguarding the right to affordable health and long-term care services for seniors experiencing poverty and people with disabilities.
Medicare and Medicaid represent our societal commitment to ensuring health care access for seniors and people with disabilities. But for many living in poverty, that promise is incomplete. Beneficiaries struggle to cover Medicare’s out-of-pocket costs and face challenges navigating the complex bureaucracies that govern access to Medicaid services. EFLRP advocates for New Yorkers experiencing poverty who, because of aging and/or disability, need Medicaid services to enable them to remain in their homes and avoid institutionalization.
To meet our clients’ needs, EFLRP uses a combination of tools, including direct representation, policy advocacy, and public education through www.nyhealthaccess.org.
secured in ongoing yearly home health care services last year
Our lawyers and paralegals fight for seniors and people with disabilities, ensuring that they have access to the health care and home care services they need to age safely in their homes and communities. We offer the following legal services:
- Counseling clients on Medicaid, Medicare, and home care eligibility and services
- Training thousands of legal, social services, and health care professionals about rapid changes in health care programs and how to best serve the health and long-term care needs of seniors
- Educating the public through the website NYHealthAccess.org
- Representing clients in denials and reductions of Medicaid, Medicare Savings Program, and Medicaid home care
- Assisting clients with accessing home care services through Managed Long Term Care plans
Who was Evelyn Frank? She was a dedicated legal services lawyer in California, who for 17 years challenged cutbacks in that state’s Medicaid program affecting seniors, people with disabilities, and children. NYLAG attorneys and paralegals continue her legacy to honor her memory.