Domestic Violence Law
Empowering survivors of intimate partner violence to achieve safety and stability.
Intimate partner violence is more than a “personal matter.” It’s an urgent societal issue that must be addressed. Often survivors feel trapped in an abusive relationship, unsure of the options available to help them and their children be safer. Our attorneys work with survivors, offering them client-centered, trauma-informed representation so that they can build stable, independent lives free from violence.
NYLAG’s attorneys and paralegals in the Domestic Violence Law Unit work with survivors of sexual and gender-based violence, including sexual assault, stalking, and trafficking, within all communities, regardless of gender identity or sexual orientation.
survivors of intimate partner violence worked with NYLAG on orders of protection, divorce, and custody issues last year
Our attorneys will fight for survivors and their children. We offer the following legal services:
- Creating safety plans
- Obtaining and enforcing orders of protection
- Representing clients in contested and uncontested divorce proceedings
- Advocating for a fair and just division of assets and financial support
- Obtaining and enforcing orders for child and spousal support
- Securing or maintaining custody of the children
- Securing safe visitation
- Assisting in child protection cases to keep children safe
- Defending against abusive tactics, such as false arrests and false filings
- Working with immigrant survivors to secure legal status
- Representing survivors in appeals in Family and Supreme Court
- Advocating for survivors in the criminal and civil justice system
Need free legal services or financial counseling?
Help us provide free legal help to survivors.
The Latest on Domestic Violence Law
We spoke with trauma therapist Natalie Y. Gutierrez, LMFT, to better understand how to manage trauma reactions and triggers during a crisis.
Trauma expert Evy Yeager writes about why legal professionals have to understand trauma and survival responses, as part of NYLAG’s #IamCredible campaign.
Lisa Rivera, NYLAG’s Managing Attorney, wrote this op-ed in City Limits