*nylag.org/coronavirus (this page) will be updated as needed with the latest info around NYLAG’s response to coronavirus.
We all have been affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. NYLAG is taking necessary precautions to protect our staff, volunteers, clients, and larger community.
Our intake lines are open, we are meeting with clients via telephonic and virtual meetings, we are sharing information online, we are continuing our advocacy efforts, and every unit is up and running. We are still working hard, but please note that our physical office is closed.
What if I have an active case or need legal support?
If you have an active case, including an upcoming court case, please reach out to your NYLAG case handler if you have questions. Please note that court operations are rapidly changing, with many being suspended until further notice.
Our intake is still operating as outlined at nylag.org/gethelp. We will update that page if anything changes.
Here is how we’ve been responding and taking action so far:
NYLAG has a culture and history of responding to emerging needs, quickly adapting to meet those needs in innovative ways. At NYLAG, we are rapidly responding to the coronavirus, shifting our work to respond to this new reality while continuing to ensure that our clients have fair and equal access to justice. Here how we’ve responded so far:
- Advocating for immediate policy and systemic changes that protect those with low-income or who are experiencing poverty, such as imposing moratoriums on home evictions and immigration enforcement, and urging the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs to adopt our proposal to protect veterans. These are just some examples—we continue to advocate behind the scenes.
- Creating an online resource from our financial counseling team on how to save and lessen the financial strain during a public health pandemic like coronavirus.
- Sharing timely and factual information online such as how to report illegal practices like price gouging of sanitization products, changes in court and hearing operations, how to fill out the census during this pandemic, and other critical issues.
- Prioritizing legal support to individuals with urgent needs that cannot be stalled.
- NYLAG’s tips for saving and financial planning during coronavirus
- NYLAG’s census FAQ
- NYC paid sick leave information
- Protecting yourself and loved ones from coronavirus and latest updates
- Social Security and coronavirus
- NYLAG resource on what to know about evictions in NY
- NYLAG guidance on legal planning documents
How can I help during this time?
The coronavirus will undoubtedly impact our fundraising and finances. If you are able to, please donate generously so that we can continue providing free legal services and financial counseling during times of crisis.