Defending victims of abusive and deceptive lending and debt collection practices to ensure future financial stability.
NYLAG’s consumer protection and foreclosure prevention attorneys work to eradicate abusive debt collection practices, lending violations, and fraud that create barriers to education, job mobility, stable housing, and, in some cases, safety for our clients. Our work promotes the long-term financial security of families with low incomes and aims to stop the cycle of debt and poverty.
saved in consumer cases last year
Our advocacy helps individuals and families achieve long-term financial security. Here are some of the legal issues our lawyers can address:
- Defending clients in credit card, student loan, auto lending, medical, and student loan debt proceedings
- Advocating for victims of debt and loan scams
- Fighting against unjust foreclosure and lending practices
- Assisting clients in filing for a Chapter 7 consumer bankruptcy discharge
- Bringing impact cases to stop predatory debt collection and consumer fraud
Need free legal services or financial counseling?
Help us provide free legal services to people with low incomes in need of a lawyer.
NYLAG’s Jane Greengold has devoted her 50-year long career to protecting thousands of consumers with low income. Read highlights of her inspiring career.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic, scams—particularly online scams—have been on the rise. If you or your loved ones use the internet, it is important that you are aware of the eight most common scams.