Defending victims of abusive and deceptive lending and debt collection practices to ensure future financial stability.
NYLAG’s consumer protection and foreclosure prevention attorneys work to eradicate abusive debt collection practices, lending violations, and fraud that create barriers to education, job mobility, stable housing, and, in some cases, safety for our clients. Our work promotes the long-term financial security of families with low incomes and aims to stop the cycle of debt and poverty.
saved in consumer cases last year
Our advocacy helps individuals and families achieve long-term financial security. Here are some of the legal issues our lawyers can address:
- Defending clients in credit card, student loan, auto lending, medical, and student loan debt proceedings
- Advocating for victims of debt and loan scams
- Fighting against unjust foreclosure and lending practices
- Assisting clients in filing for a Chapter 7 consumer bankruptcy discharge
- Bringing impact cases to stop predatory debt collection and consumer fraud
Need free legal services or financial counseling?
Help us provide free legal services to people with low incomes in need of a lawyer.
NYLAG’s Shanna Tallarico speaks with Yahoo Finance on how the suspension of debt collection provides relief during this public health crisis.
NYLAG’s Jane Stevens and Jessica Ranucci criticize the Borrower Defense rule’s impact on defrauded students and free legal resources.
On behalf of NYLAG, student advocates file lawsuit against the Department of Education’s new Borrower Defense rule. NYLAG’s Jane Greengold provides her statement.