The New York Legal Assistance Group uses the power of the law to help New Yorkers in need combat social and economic injustice. We address emerging and urgent legal needs with comprehensive, free civil legal services, impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community education.
- We help survivors of domestic violence to escape their abusers.
- We assist chronically ill and disabled patients to access lifesaving healthcare.
- We enable immigrants to achieve their dreams of citizenship.
- We fight for elderly New Yorkers to receive the public benefits and homecare they need to live dignified, independent lives.
- We help children with special needs to attain school placements where they can learn and flourish.
- We prevent foreclosure and eviction by advocating to keep people in their homes.
NYLAG changes lives and strengthens our community. From 2016-2017:
- We partner with over 600 health and human services agencies across the City to provide cross-referrals and ensure holistic care for New Yorkers in need.
- NYLAG has 150 community offices located in courts, hospitals, and community based organizations in all five boroughs of New York City as well as Westchester County and Long Island.
- NYLAG directly served over 74,000 vulnerable New Yorkers.
- An additional 10,000 individuals participated in NYLAG’s community education and professional training sessions.
- 35,000 New Yorkers benefited from NYLAG’s class action law suits.
- NYLAG’s $26 million budget is supplemented by partnerships with law firms and volunteers that in the past year have donated over 100,000 hours in pro bono services, valued at over $26 million.
- In addition to a paid staff of more than 280, NYLAG leverages the services of over 2,200 pro bono attorneys and other volunteers.